Re: Registration of new charset BOCU-1 refreshed

Martin Duerst wrote:

> BOCU-1 is intended for limited use in special situations.
> The preferred and most widely supported encoding for
> Unicode/ISO 10646 on the Internet is UTF-8.

This is a true statement, so I do not have a problem with it.
I suggest to combine this information with my second "info" paragraph, which currently reads:

>>     BOCU-1 combines the wide applicability of UTF-8 with the compactness of SCSU.
>>     It is useful for short strings and maintains code point order.

Note that, aside from current support and preference, there is no reason to over-emphasize UTF-8 for the Internet.
For as long as a Unicode charset is used, conversion will be fast and there will be no mapping difference problems.
Each Unicode charset has its strengths and weaknesses, and protocols and software should select them accordingly.

Best regards,
markus