Re: charset aliases

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> The alisases records names that are used in some networking
> environments, such as ISO communications, X, POSIX and others.

The IANA charset registry is for Internet protocols, such as MIME, HTTP,
HTML and XML. It is not appropriate to contaminate the IANA registry
with names that are used in ISO communications, X, POSIX and others.

> The words I get from people is: never delete entries in registries.

The HTML <font> tag is deprecated. There are better ways to do that now,
and we are trying to get the Net to move in that direction.

On the other hand, Unicode and 10646 do not remove or move characters
once they have been assigned (with the unfortunate exception of the
Korean mess).

I prefer to see the charset aliases as being more similar to the former
(HTML's <font>) than the latter, since there are alternatives (i.e. the
preferred or canonical name).

I still think we should at least consider cleaning up the IANA charset
registry.

Erik