charset aliases

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

> It is in the style that has been done for all the other iso-8859
> series of standards. So yu need to do it anyway for everything
> else.

I realize that the software must support aliases, but that is not a very
good reason to create even more aliases that are not even used.

I have occasionally wondered whether it might even be a good idea to
deprecate and eventually remove some of the current aliases. It is hard
to tell which aliases can be safely removed, but perhaps we could look
at the data collected by a Web crawler, a news server and some mailing
list archives to determine that. And we'd have a phased approach, where
aliases are marked "deprecated" for a year or two before removing them
from the database.

How does this sound? If volunteers could be found to do the work, would
there be any objections?

Erik