RE: GET, POST, and side-effects

On Fri, 5 Jan 1996, Paul Leach wrote:

> I always asumed that the existence of a "?" in the request-URI
> prevented proxies from caching the result-entity, so that this couldn't happen?

But that heuristic is a total kludge.  In itself, the "?" says nothing
about cacheability.  Often the response from the server given the same
"parameters" in the URL is exactly the same every time (and so
could/should be cached) (The "sine server" for example).  Conversely,
other servers may return a different page every time when given a "normal"
URL.  (Yahoo for example?)

So it seems to me that the real solution is to get cache-control
meta-data from the source server.  So web server authors need to be
encouraged to make this easy for webmasters.

Steve