Re: Tidy converts "--" in comments...

On Mon, 01 Mar 2010 12:48:21 -0000, "Fred Bone"
<Fred.Bone@dial.pipex.com> wrote:

>On 1 March 2010 at 6:59, Dennis Kowallek said:

>[...]
>> The reason I asked is that these comments actually contain valid HTML that
>> I may wish to uncomment in the future. I would prefer that tidy did not
>> muck with this.
>
>The only source of difficulty I can think of would be existing comments
>which you now want to embed in a larger commented-out block. The closing
>marker will cause problems anyway, so you are almost certainly better off
>letting Tidy do its thing.
>
>Would you care to show an example or two, in case anyone has bright
>ideas?

I actually have some HTML text (a transcription of a letter) that
contains...

Post Master at Lancaster made a mistake also by marking it Sept. 23
&#150; instead of August &#150; what is the matter with the folks in
Lancaster &#150; they had better go to school to Mr Carter -</p>

I have this commented out temporarily. When I send it thru tidy it
converts the "--" to "-=".

Like I said, I am working around it by sending the files thru a script
AFTER running tidy that converts "-=" back to "--".

I know I can convert all these double hyphens to &#045; or en or em
dashes. That may be a better solution.

Thanks for your comments...

--

Dennis