Re: How to encrypt email addresses on html file - off topic reply - sorta...

Hello.

I thought that you may be interested to know that some web browser
components (if not all) can be somewhat decompiled and incorperated into
larger software applications.  Using BCB C++ for example I am able to import
the components made for Internet Explorer directly from type libraries for
use in my BCB C++ with a dynamic CLSID call.  I would also assume that VB C#
users have the same if not more advanced abilities then that of what I do.
You could also extend that too other various methods of contact information,
from VCARD to PGP...

In affect using the method above one can de-crypt by using the interface
Rendered content and not the original 'file content'.  Making the suggested
adjustment fail.

The reason for this post is that I have seen many Australian Government web
sites support an extra '.' at the end of email addresses.  I would also
guess that this too has its limits and its very anoying for users.  The
other method employed seems to be in 404 errors and removal of email
addresses, try reporting broken links at http://www.austrade.gov.au/

I have seen javascript coded into numeric values or simmilar. (check out
http://www.friedspam.net/ web page source).  I would assume Tidy is ok with
such coded files depending on level of such coding?

Another trick not listed for text versions of your address could envolve
rapping the '@' as there is no italic, bold, or other for such symbols.  Ie

As a last attempt if your being 'crawled' is to use 'fake hidden links' -
see http://www.spamcop.net source for a good example. (for every few hunderd
emails I get say 2 on such links - but then again they could be faulty bots
of some kind sending on those links)

I have to agree with another poster on this subject that once one 'spammer'
has your email address the rest of the 'spam' senders would have it too.
The chance of being 'crawled' by the actual spammer is very low to none IMHO
as it defeats the ideal of sending 'spam' - the cheap access to contact
information is the mark of a dare I say it 'professional spammer'; and
somehow crawling web sites seems rather expensive when say a 'spammer' in
say China is sending 'spam' to the USA, etc.

However, making attempts - even if they fail - is better then doing nothing.

:-)

Best of luck and kind regards,
Jason