Re: Entities, Tidy and valid XML.

* Jelks Cabaniss wrote:
>Matthew Stanfield wrote:
>
>> Please ignore my earlier email, someone has just told me I
>> need to define all entities in an xml document apart from:
>> &amp; &apos; &gt; &lt; &quot; [&, ', >, <, "].
>
>Yes.  I see this is becoming a FAQ here too, so ...

>Q.  Why doesn't &nbsp; (or &copy;, or &Whatever;) work in XML?
>
>A.  They *will* work if and only if you've referenced a DTD that
>declares them for you, such as the XHTML 1.0 Strict DTD at
>
>	http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd

This is exactly the reason, why Tidy puts out only numeric character
references when the document type declaration is ommited. I think this
is a little buggy at the moment, but in general it should work in latest
builds.

>or you have declared them yourself, as in ...
>
>   <?xml version="1.0"?>
>   <!DOCTYPE doc [
>     <!ENTITY nbsp "&#160;">
>     <!ENTITY copy "&#169;">
>     <!ENTITY alef "&#x05d0;">
>   ]>
>   <doc>
>      but if you could see it, it would look
>      like this: &nbsp;.</p>

>      alphabet is &alef;.</p>

>      Anonymous</p>
>   </doc>

... You may also import the entities from XHTML 1.0 like

  <!DOCTYPE html [
  <!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC
     "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1 for XHTML//EN"
     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-lat1.ent">
  %HTMLlat1;

  <!ENTITY % HTMLsymbol PUBLIC
     "-//W3C//ENTITIES Symbols for XHTML//EN"
     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-symbol.ent">
  %HTMLsymbol;

  <!ENTITY % HTMLspecial PUBLIC
     "-//W3C//ENTITIES Special for XHTML//EN"
     "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml-special.ent">
  %HTMLspecial;
  ]>