Tidy usage - was Re: Repairing incorrect tag minimisation was Re: Tags lacking a terminating '>' are spotted

On 12 Feb 2002 at 7:58, ewitness - Ben Fowler wrote:

> I was taking human nature into account. I suspect that many people
> would run the document through tidy and call it a day. Many people
> are minded to take the output of computer as 'vox dei'. I would
> doubt that in the real world the results would be rigorously checked,
> and I suspect that often would not be checked at all.
>
> In the case in point, the check might have to be done in a text editor
> rather than an HTML editor.

Which raises an interesting point (well, it interests me!). How *do*
people use Tidy?

I do a lot of what I call "consolidation": I get text from a bunch of
different people and have to update various web pages with it. I
paste it in with a text editor, add appropriate markup, run the
result through Tidy, and then open it in a browser to check the
appearance. In this mode, I can be reasonably sure of catching
anything that Tidy has corrected to the "wrong" choice. I am
occasionally surprised by the result: for example when I left out a
leading <ol>:
 <li>listitem1
 <li>listitem2
 </ol>
Tidy kindly made it a UL for me!

I wouldn't dream of accepting Tidy's (or anyone else's!) corrections
to a page without checking its appearance.