Re: <HR> in <PRE>

In <200201232358.MAA218318@atlas.otago.ac.nz>, "Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz> writes:

Richard

> I asked that <HR> be turned into </PRE><HR><PRE> when it occurs
> inside <PRE>.
>
> The point is that <HR> is NOT ALLOWED inside <PRE> by any current HTML
> specification.
>
> I am requesting a change that turns *illegal* HTML into legal HTML,
> doing as little violence to the rendering as possible.

no disagreement on the intention to create valid HTML and do as little harm to
the document as possible.

Changing tidy will break pages that rely on the current processing, which is
treating the content of PRE as text and escaping tags (not sure if anyone has
used it for that but comes handy when writing *ML code samples, just write them
between <PRE> ... </PRE> and tidy formats them with &lt; and &gt; entity
references) -- might introduce yet another flag to indicate how tidy should
process <PRE> sections.

Another item for discussion, since other block level elements, and IMG, OBJECT,
BIG, SMALL, SUB and SUP are not allowed in PRE context either, should these get
moved outside of the PREformatted section as well?

> By careful use of CSS, which I do not yet understand (even the book by the
> inventors is terribly vague about models and details), it should be possible
> to adjust the vertical spacing.

In theory that's correct, however browser implementations vary in their support
for vertical spacing of block level elements.

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
KlausRusch@atmedia.net