Re: Converting HTM to XML

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Mervyn & Marica Jones wrote:

> I visited your website and found a similar topic bu I was unable
> to access the answer.  Is there an example anywhere of the
> original HTML file and the new XML file??  I have a project to
> complete.  Please help

If you use Tidy to convert HTML to XHTML then all the end tags will
be inserted and enpty tags like <br> are convered to <br /> which
is how empty tags are represented in XML. The space before the
slash is put there by Tidy to avoid confusing old HTML browsers.
Tidy also gives you control over the <!doctype> declaration.
I recommend you download the latest version of Tidy from the
Source Forge site, see the link on the Tidy page.

Regards,

-- Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> or <dave.raggett@openwave.com>
W3C Visiting Fellow, see http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett
tel/fax: +44 122 586-6240 (or 7351) +44 771 213 7629 (mobile)