Re: [Tidy-dev] More interest in starter level documentation (fwd)

Hi Nicky,

A couple more for the FAQ:

Where Do I Get Support?

is best.  Sometimes developers are the last to know...  Also, this list
covers both Java and C versions, not to mention various value-added
products such as GUI front ends, Perl and Python integration, etc.  If you
don't get a response after a couple tries or if you have a bug fix, bump it
over to the developer list.  It's not a hard line, but that is the general
arrangement.

Which Version Should I Use?

I recommend that folks use the current Source Forge builds which you can
find at http://tidy.sourceforge.net.

At my work, in a publishing/content management system, we are using a
somewhat older build of the Source Forge code to "validate" and convert to
XHTML.  But this is primarily because we've been running it - without any
problems - since last fall!

People continue to report examples where Tidy doesn't catch some ill-formed
HTML or, worse, generates ill-formed HTML.  My impression is that these
cases have been reduced.

The net is this: download or build a current binary, but be sure to test it
with some representative files from your environment.

For development work, I would recommend using CVS directly on your
development system.  For information on how to pull Tidy sources from CVS,
see http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=27659.  This way you can keep
abreast of changes to Tidy and quickly resolve conflicts.

For building a front end, my personal recommendation would be to shell out
to the command line tool and parse the output.  This way, users of your GUI
can drop in the latest version of Tidy without even a re-link.  Different
tools have successfully taken different approaches, however.

take it easy,
Charlie