Re: Web archive processing

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 00:31:31 -0800, Terry Teague wrote:

>But basically as I understand it, the Web Archive format was introduced
>with Internet Explorer 4.0.x, and is basically a standard Java ".jar" file,
>with the extension changed to ".war". Apparently there were some bugs with
>early IE 4.0 versions and Web Archives, and based on the comments below, it
>is possible that Microsoft "embraced and extended" the jar format.

Not quite. Unless MS have also "invented" .war files (not to
my knowledge), they're a Sun-ism for containing packaged Java
Enteprise Edition applications (just like .jar files can hold J2SE
application code). Both jars and wars are indeed in zip format and
there is of course nothing to stop .WARs from holding web-pages
only (without any java code).

Simon