RE: Tidy for web based app?

Hi Charlie,

Yes XML is supposed to enable the ease of web based development among
other things but poor implementations of standards continue to make a
mess out of our every day work.

> A couple things.  My XML editor is medium-tech.  I parse the DTD and
> generate a config file that drives a form generator package.
> It is good for
> throwing up a data entry form for simple to medium complexity
> XML instance
> docs.  We use it to maintain data sets and parameter sets
> used by financial
> modelling tools and it works well for this purpose.  It is
> also useful to
> decouple simple data maintenance from UI/presentation.  We
> can configure
> XSLT pages to render a particular "Document Type" (defined as
> the DTD URL +
> the root element name).

Interesting and practical. Can I hope for sourcecode lying around
somewhere on the web?

> ActiveX is probably a decent way to go.  I.e. you need a more
> response UI
> for document editing than HTML forms can provide.

Let's not talk about forms, I had much trouble building that grid
interface out of xhtml/css2 ;-)

> There is a TidyCOM component included with TidyGUI (See
> http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ablavier/TidyCOM/).  That said, one
> of the primary
> motivations for the SourceForge project is to build a library
> version of
> Tidy to make it simpler to integrate into browser plugins or
> what have you.
> See http://tidy.sourceforge.net.  We are closing in on our
> "bug fix" release
> (which actually has significantly enhanced HTML handling).
> So work will be
> commencing on tidylib Real Soon Now.

Okie dokie. I am still hoping that the java version of Tidy might be
used instead of the tidy/com wrapper combo after all. The grid interface
should work just fine in Mozilla (and I'm sure there's room for getting
better thanks to a solid CSS support), it would be sad to find out all
this work will be useless in other browsers. Also, Jtidy would be easier
for me to extend.

Anyway, I'll just start experimenting while keeping an eye on the
tidy.sourceforge page. Promise I will report back with any
implementation + documentation to put in the pot as well. Thanks for
your reply.

Kindest regards,

Manos