Re: Cleaning HTML Sources With Tidy

At 4:41 PM -0400 10/8/01, Larry W. Virden wrote:
>From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
>
>> The maintenance of HTML Tidy has moved to
>> http://tidy.sourceforge.net and you are advised to download the
>> latest version which fixes a number of bugs.
>
>I'd love to download the source to do that, but the source I find
>on http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidy says it was last updated in
>may of 2001 and appears to be a version older than I have - from Aug 4, 2000.

That's because you are downloading the wrong thing <grin>. What you
downloaded IS the 04 Aug 00 source code - it was made available on
SourceForge when the Tidy project moved to SourceForge in May of 2001, as
an archive for those people who wished to have that version (I'm amazed at
the number of people who download the files from the Tidy project without
apparently realizing what they have downloaded - each file has its own
description that can be displayed without downloading the file - I mean,
one file has been downloaded about 75 times in the past month, and it is
plainly labelled Documentation Template, so it is not a lot of use to most
people <grin>).

Currently the only way to get the current source is to check it out from
CVS. Instructions for doing so can be found at
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/tidy>

>Any idea when a source code release will be forthcoming?

If you prefer, there are pre-built binaries for popular platforms, based on
near the current code, on <http://tidy.sourceforge.net>.

We are currently trying to finish up some documentation, and other loose
ends. With only a couple of us working on it part time, it is taking longer
than we hoped. If you want to pitch in and help, that would be appreciated
<grin>.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Terry