Re: Problem with <textarea>

On 1 Mar 2001, at 17:55, R. Scott Granneman wrote:

> After running tidy, I noticed that this code is being generated:
>
> <textarea name="textfield" cols="50" rows="4">
> </textarea>
>
> Because </textarea> is output on the next line, about 50 characters are
> being inserted between <textarea> & </textarea>.  [...]
>
> Any way around this? Isn't this a bug...

It's a bug, but it would appear to be in your browser, not in HTML Tidy.
See:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/appendix/notes.html#h-B.3.1

...which states, in part:

 "SGML (see [ISO8879], section 7.6.1) specifies that a line break
  immediately following a start tag must be ignored, as must a line break
  immediately before an end tag. This applies to all HTML elements
  without exception."

                                      -- Dave