Re: Tidy from Aug 04 not updating html file.

On 20 Nov 2000, at 13:02, Larry W. Virden wrote:

> I'm rather surprised that there isn't a simple option to override things
> - even when I provide a -config /dev/null, it appears that tidy wants to
> use that HTML_TIDY variable.

The various configuration file options accumulate, if I recall correctly,
so "-config /dev/null" doesn't change anything because there aren't any
options specified.  The order in which configuration options are applied
is: compiled-in default, then environment variable OR then ".tidyrc", then
command-line options in order of appearance, including the "config" option.

Note that if the environment variable is defined, ".tidyrc" will not be
checked.

> I wonder if the argument setting is really working as expected; I
> would have expected command line flags to override everything
> else - AND I would expect a command line flag to turn on or off
> the generation of that markup argument.

If you use "--markup yes" from the command line, that would override a
previous "markup: no" in any configuration file previously encountered.
Also, the "-errors" and "-e" command option is the same as "markup: no".

> In general, I don't want tidy messing around moving tags about in my
> file just to make things look pretty.  I do however want tidy to fix
> broken code.

Wouldn't that just be a case of selecting the desired options in your
configuration file?

> another nice feature would be a 'show me what values you are using'
> option.  That way, one could tell after having gone thru a variety of
> files exactly what parameters had been set...

Agreed.

                                      -- Dave