Re: Tidy from Aug 04 not updating html file.

From: "J. David Bryan" <jdbryan@acm.org>

    On 20 Nov 2000, at 11:54, Larry W. Virden wrote:

    > 1. I have write permissions on the web page I am trying to
get tidy
    > to update.

    Try:

      $ tidy tst.html

    ...and see if you get the proper output on the screen.  If
so, then Tidy is
    having problems writing the corrected output back to the
file.  If not,
    then the trouble is elsewhere.

I rebuilt the original aug 4 release of tidy on my SPARC Solaris
8 machine.  I use a relative pathname to make sure I get the
version I just built.  I see:

 $ ./tidy /tmp/tst.html

Tidy (vers 4th August 2000) Parsing "/tmp/tst.html"
line 3 column 1 - Warning: inserting missing 'title' element

/tmp/tst.html: Document content looks like HTML 2.0
1 warnings/errors were found!

HTML & CSS specifications are available from http://www.w3.org/
To learn more about Tidy see
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/
Please send bug reports to Dave Raggett care of
Lobby your company to join W3C, see http://www.w3.org/Consortium
$ cat /tmp/tst.html
<head>
</head>
test

So I am seeing no change in the file or written to stdout.

    > 3. However, I'm not sure whether that's the whole picture.
Here's
    > the latest test:
    >
    > $ tidy -m tst.html
    >
    > Notice that I'm not providing any config file.  It is my
understadning
    > that this should take the default action - updating the
file.

    It should, in the absence of any implied configuration file.
Note that
    Tidy will process:

     1. A configuration filename supplied on the command line.

     2. A configuration filename designated by the HTML_TIDY
environment
	variable.

     3. A ".tidyrc" file, if present in the HOME directory.

     4. A compiled-in default filename, if defined.

    Perhaps you're still getting "markup: no" from one of these
sources?

--------

Ah ha!  There was a HTML_TIDY variable set.  I'm rather surprised
that there isn't a simple option to override things - even when I
provide a -config /dev/null, it appears that tidy wants to use
that HTML_TIDY variable.  Once I unset that variable, things seem
to work again.

I wonder if the argument setting is really working as expected; I
would have expected command line flags to override everything
else - AND I would expect a command line flag to turn on or off
the generation of that markup argument.  At the very least, one
should have the ability to seperately indicate whether
non-functional changes (line wrapping, etc.) vs functional cases
(inserting code) should be performed.  In general, I don't want
tidy messing around moving tags about in my file just to make
things look pretty.  I do however want tidy to fix broken code.

Does tidy perform character conversions for those Microsoft (and
Mac) characters that I see so frequently on web pages - the
'wrong' characters for quotes, dashes, etc. that end up not
displaying properly unless you happen to have the right font?

    (Some time ago, I suggested an enhancement that would have
Tidy print to
    the console the name of any configuration file processed.  It
sure would
    help to track down "stealth" configuration problems of this
nature!)

That would be nice - another nice feature would be a 'show me
what values you are using' option.  That way, one could tell
after having gone thru a variety of files exactly what parameters
had been set...

--
Larry W. Virden <URL: mailto:lvirden@cas.org>
Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this