Re: JTidy DOM Implementation

Greetings,

On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 07:01:36AM -0800, Gary L Peskin wrote:

> I don't think that the c version of tidy implements the DOM at all!  I
> suppose we could keep the existing DOM classes and continue to support
> them as is and enhance them as time allows.  But for people who need
> full DOM support, it would be much easier for us to build in SAX 2
> events.

Gary, do you think that SAX is less of a moving target than DOM? If
yes, I think your proposal sounds very good. It has the following
advantages:

- The DOM implementation would be left to the folks who know it best
  (e.g. Xerces)
- Maintenance of the JTidy DOM support would be easier.

The disadvantages are:

1 Work required to design the SAX2 event generator
2 Speed
3 Existing application base.

The solution to 3) would be to either support the existing DOM classes
in parallel or providing a smooth migration path to the DOM functionality.

Can you give a work estimate? How about the speed/memory penalty?

-Sami

--
lempinen@iki.fi http://www.iki.fi/lempinen/

                             apt-get a life