Re: suppressing/transforming deprecated tags [Re: Tidy putting spurious "/" into tags]

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Sebastian Lange wrote:

> I believe there should be a configuration option to either "leave", "drop"
> or "transform to CSS" deprecated attributes.
>
> Most important to me is that tidy's output is VALID HTML, especially
> proprietary Microsoft Tags/Attributes should be simply dropped.
> Of course some people will disagree, that's why having this as a
> configurable option is desirable.
>
> SUGGESTION:
> fix-bad-attributes: leave, drop, convert
>          If set to _drop_, deprecated attributes will be discarded. If set to
>          _convert_, causes Tidy to replace deprecated attributes by appropriate
>          style rules. The default is _leave_.
>
> REMARK:
> "deprecated" varies depending on the selected DTD, of course... (attributes
> that are deprecated in STRICT version might be compliant with the
> TRANSITIONAL version, and this should be recognized).
>
> Any comments or objections?

Sounds great: Great solution, but also great effort to implement it:

How do you convert undefined elements/attributes? :-)

Seriously: Attributes and Elements can be deprecated, obsolete,
known proprietary (e.g. M$ or NN) or unknown (typos, ...). Conversion
for the first two classes would be great, for the third one: terrific,
for the last one - impossible.

--
Cheers alex          Alexander Biron

Seven Wonders of Modern Astronomy: http://www.sciam.com/1999/1299engineering/1299musser.html

work:	http://www.ifh.de/~biron/	private:
	Tel (+49)33762-77-483   	Tel(+49)30-4948857
	mailto:biron@ifh.de    		mailto:biron@frohnau-flamingos.de