Re: Bug? Tidy adding style definitions when the option is off!

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Richard Allsebrook wrote:

> I've been using your excellent Tidy along with the equally
> excellent HTML-Kit for some time now, and I'm not sure if I've
> changed a setting somewhere, but...
>
> Tidy now appears to automatically upgrade my HTML to style
> sheets even though I have the option to "Upgrade to Style
> Sheets" switched off.
>
> It's not all bad news, the Style Sheet's is does produce are
> correct :-)
>
> How do I stop it doing this?  The web sites I am responsible for
> cannot contain style sheets due to the wide range of browsers I
> must support.

I can't reproduce this. One possibility is that you are using
a config file with the clean option set to yes. Alternatively,
you could be setting drop-font-tags or logical-emphais, both
of which set the clean option internally.

Does the problem persist with the latest version of Tidy?

> And on a completely unrelated note...
>
> How do I stop TIDY from inserting a CR in <TD> tags?  Its screws
> with my delicate (ha!) formatting and I have to go back and
> remove the whitespace by hand.

You are probably setting the indent option to yes. Try auto or no
both of which will avoid the problem. Netscape Navigator is somewhat
inconsistent about stripping trailling whitespace.

> Thanks again for the superb work - especially the PHP friendly
> additions that have been made.

The next release should also support JSTE.

tel/fax: +44 122 578 3011 (or 2521) +44 385 320 444 (mobile)