Re[2]: [Fwd: My future of HTML position paper] - Navigation

     Something which could be seen as missing from HTML is formal
     Navigation definition.

     Most web pages I visit have some sort of navigation 'toolbar' above,
     below, and/or to the side of every page.

     This indicates that the navigation parts of a page are important to
     the page and therefore are a candidate for some special HTML treatment
     (a la that given to Tables and Lists).

     One option would be a <NAVIGATION> tag for defining the general
     'toolbar' links and some "You are here" indication.

     Such a tag could be formatted via CSS and even integrated by the
     Browser into its menu/toolbar system.

     David Richmond

     P.S. The previous mail about dropping HTML in favour of an XML based
     system is rather radical and inappropriate. HTML should be fully
     expressible in XML, and that should be an aim for future HTML/XML
     versions, but 'dropping' HTML would not be acceptable to most people
     especially given the current, and growing, installed base.