alignment-baseline values before-/after-edge

From: Manuel Mall <mm@arcus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:25:28 +0800
To: xsl-editors@w3.org

Dear Editors,

In http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xsl-editors/2005OctDec/0007.html Paul
hints that the "before-edge" and "after-edge" values should be removed from
the alignment-adjust property but should remain as valid values for the
alignment-baseline property.

Given that the "before-edge" and "after-edge" baselines are only defined in
the context of a line area I like some clarification how these property
values behave in the case of nested inlines especially if the baseline table
has been recalculated. For example:
<fo:block>Text<fo:inline baseline-shift="super"
font-size="smaller">Super<fo:inline
alignment-baseline="after-edge">After</fo:inline></fo:inline></fo:block>

I am uncertain what the position of the "before-edge" and "after-edge"
baselines within the first inline area are as the baseline table is
recalculated. Or is the above fo snippet invalid? If that is the case I
couldn't find that mentioned in the specifications. Or was
alignment-baseline="after-/before-edge" intended to mean "The
alignment-point of the object being aligned is aligned with the
"after-/before-edge" baseline of the ancestor line area." instead of the
current "The alignment-point of the object being aligned is aligned with the
"after-/before-edge" baseline of the parent area."?

Thank you very much

Manuel Mall