Overconstraint alignment

From: Manuel Mall <mm@arcus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 14:41:28 +0800
To: xsl-editors@w3.org

Dear Editors,

With respect to line areas there can be conflicting or overconstraint
alignment specifications. I couldn't find a reference to that situation in
the specification. Example:

<fo:block font-size="32pt">Big
  <fo:inline font-size=".25em"
    <fo:inline font-size="2em">alpha

Here we want "top" at the before-edge of the line area but the nested inline
"alpha" wants to be aligned at the alphabetic baseline of "top". Because
"alpha" uses a bigger font than "top" these two conditions cannot be
satisfied simultaneously. It is unclear to me how this is to be resolved.

Thank you very much

Manuel Mall