W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > xproc-dev@w3.org > November 2010

Re: Baffling error with http-request

From: Tony Rogers <tony@gonk.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:31:33 -0500
Cc: Inigo Surguy <inigo.surguy@gmail.com>, vojtech.toman@emc.com, Romain Deltour <rdeltour@gmail.com>
Message-Id: <24E9107E-2146-4987-BC0E-3D3BAA270200@gonk.net>
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
[Consolidating responses to 3 replies I got about this thread]

Dear List Members,
Inigo Surguy,
vojtech.toman,
and Romain Deltour,


Thank you all SO MUCH for clarifying what’s going on!  I thought I was losing my mind.

XML Catalogs are something that I know almost nothing about.  I’ve known of their existence for a long time, and I know they had something to do with negotiating local/public validation (like the strings in a DTD declaration).  But I had always imagined Catalogs were for more advanced hackers who decided to use Catalogs for some purpose over my head.  I never imagined a scenario where I would be forced to use a Catalog.  :)

I'll go ahead and try the advice from that Markmail thread (thanks Romain).  

In the meantime, I have two unanswered questions about this little nuisance:

Why wouldn't I have run into this problem when I ran the pipeline last week?  I saved the results of those HTTP requests, and I just checked again to be sure: the HTTP response was indeed XHTML 1.1…

Is there any way to ask Calabash (or the programs it works with) to “opt-out” of validation for this http-request step?  I will still look into the Catalogs suggestion, but I did see the @doctype-public and @doctype-system attributes for the p:http-request step.  Could I use those to solve this somehow?


You are all awesome and if I had money I would buy you all presents for the holidays!  :)

—Tony


On Nov 29, 2010, at 10:43 AM, Inigo Surguy wrote:

> Look at the source of http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/ - it has a
> reference to http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd at the top
> in its doctype:
> 
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
> 
> That file, in turn, references xhtml-datatypes-1.mod.
> 
> Calabash (or rather, the underlying XML parser) is trying to load the
> doctype to see if there's anything relevant to the XML within it.
> 
> Vojtech is right - you should use an XML catalog so a local version of
> the doctype is used. I'm afraid I don't know offhand how to set that
> up with Calabash, but I hope I've made it a bit clearer why it's going
> wrong at least.
> 
> Cheers
> 
> Inigo
> 
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Tony Rogers <tony@gonk.net> wrote:
>> 
>> On Nov 29, 2010, at 12:25 AM, Andrew Welch wrote:
>> 
>> There's nothing at the end of the url.....  Try getting that file yourself.
>> 
>> No, that's just it…I requested no files from w3.org anywhere in my pipeline.
>> 
>> I have no idea why that URL is popping up in the error.
>> 
> 
Received on Monday, 29 November 2010 17:32:07 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Monday, 29 November 2010 17:32:12 GMT