Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

From: David A. Lee <dlee@calldei.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 10:39:12 -0400
To: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
CC: "'Philippe Poulard'" <philippe.poulard@sophia.inria.fr>, "'Kurt Cagle'" <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>, rjelliffe@allette.com.au, xml-dev@lists.xml.org, "'XProc Dev'" <xproc-dev@w3.org>

Micheal Kay :

>     I think you're going to have difficulty reconstituting the
>     original sequence using tools written in XSLT or XQuery.
>     (Actually, it hadn't occurred to me this was one of your goals.)

I probably shouldnt have thrown that in, its never been a 'strict goal'
of mine, more a "Nice to have".
If I could show a code sample in either XSLT or XQuery or both which
happens to be a 'Reference Implementation' and documentation all in one,
I think that would be very useful, and promote wider use because people
could just "plug in" the reference implementation to any engine they
already have and voila!

But your last set of comments makes be belive such a goal is not easily
achievable.
Your comments on an XSLT Subset come pretty close though.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org