RE: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

Some people have been suggesting using a subset of XQuery syntax, others
have been saying it would be better to use XML syntax.

It occurs to me one might achieve both objectives at the same time by using
a subset of XSLT syntax. That is, we could define the syntax to be a named
xsl:template instruction containing a sequence constructor in which only the
following are permitted:

(a) An <xsl:sequence> instruction whose select attribute contains a
constructor function with a string literal argument, for example
<xsl:sequence select="xs:positiveInteger('5')"/>

(b) An empty <xsl:attribute>, <xsl:value-of>, <xsl:comment>,
<xsl:processing-instruction> or <xsl:namespace> instruction whose content is
constrained to use no non-literal expressions or AVTs.

(c) An <xsl:element> or <xsl:document> instruction whose content is
constrained to hold only <xsl:element>, <xsl:attribute>, <xsl:value-of>,
<xsl:comment>, <xsl:processing-instruction> or <xsl:namespace> instructions
that themselves follow the same rules.

There might be a need to define some additional attributes specific to the
serialization format, e.g. to represent IDness.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay