Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

From: michael odling-smee <mike.odlingsmee@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:25:41 +0100
To: "David A. Lee" <dlee@calldei.com>
Cc: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>, Philippe Poulard <philippe.poulard@sophia.inria.fr>, Kurt Cagle <kurt.cagle@gmail.com>, rjelliffe@allette.com.au, xml-dev@lists.xml.org, XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
All,

I have been reading this thread with much interest. I don't think I have
much to add in terms of the serialisation format (save I would personally
prefer an XML format without having academic argument for such a
preference).

As an extension/example of use-case 5 - Provide a human readable output of
XDM data - I thought that such a serialisation format could be to create
standard XPath/XSLT debugging dump that could be more tightly integrated to
the host language - e.g. using xsl:message, XPath trace(). Furthermore a
standard format could also give rise to portable unit testing frameworks
where assertions could be performed against the XDM serialised form or
provide a convenient way of saving mementos of processing state - as
previously alluded to this could be useful in languages such as BPEL or
XProc.

None of these things is impossible with existing tooling, I just think this
would change the ratio of work that would be done by the tools rather than
the application developer.

Michael Odling-Smee