Re: [xml-dev] Serialization of XDM - Use cases / Proposal

I'm still working on this never fear !!
Micheal's suggesting is so compelling that I had to do some more
research.   I still need to do some more :(
I'm going to start writing this up so I have a strawman to poke at
(hopefully not totally light fire to).

A couple suggestions/questions so I get going.
What is being proposed (by michael, and I'm going along for the ride) is
attempting to use a  very small subset of XSLT , but then augmented,
to provide the core elements which are used to wrap the XDM result.
As a result it *wont actually be XSLT*.   But a new schema conceptional
copied from the bits we want to reuse.

The first question I have in mind is how do we parse this.  This one
example of Michaels has me a little confused:

    <xsl:sequence select="xs:positiveInteger('5')"/>

This is the proposal for how to represent a typed atomic value.    This
is pretty obscure to my novice eyes.  Reading this I wouldn't guess off
hand that this means "Atomic value, type xs:positiveInteger, text value
'5'".

But if thats how you construct typed atomic values in XSLT I could live
with it,  Which comes to the aforementioned problem,
this isn't actually XSLT,  its a schema borrowed from xslt.
Particularly if we have to not just take a subset but also augment as per
    "There might be a need to define some additional attributes specific
to the serialization format, e.g. to represent IDness."

This means how do we parse it ?
Certainly a dedicated XML parser could do the trick but then we'd have
to be pretty sophisticated to be able to parse the above syntax.
Alternatively maybe this schema can be transformed (via xlst? xquery?
pure java?) into an actual fully fledged XSLT file, and then *that* run.

That then leads me to the final question.  Suppose we transform this
serialized form "almost an xslt" format, into "real xslt" format, then
run a real XSLT 2.0 parser on it.  How to get the resulting values out ?

Please bear with me as I'm very much a novice at XSLT ... maybe the
answer is "obvious".
XSLT 2.0 claims that the result of an XSLT transformation can be a 'set
of result trees'.
Thats an XDM sequence . (???)
So far so good I think.

But how in reality using a real XSLT processor to get these ?  I'm
looking at my favorite XSLT parser, Saxon, and
I cant see any methods to get more then 1 tree out.    Unlike the XQuery
methods which can produce Xdm objects (including sequences),
the XSLT classes all have 1 method only "transform" which presumes a
single Destination object.
So is there a way to re-animate such a format using XSLT ?
If so what would it be ?
If not, then I suggest using a syntax which is XSLT based has lesser
value if you cant actually use XSLT on it.  It has value from the
'shared understanding' perspective, and hence maybe some of the
suggestions make sense if they are easily parsed, but the one quoted at
the top seems unnecessarily complicated to parse if you cant use XSLT to
do it.
As apposed to something like say

    <xdm:atomic type="xs:positiveInteger" value="5"/>

Which doesn't require parsing an arbitrary expression inside a select=
attribute.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com