Re: Java 1.6?

I would not put "apache Ant" as not a 'bellweather' but a "last trailing
indicator".
Ant has to *build things* so its very important it runs on the oldest
JVM reasonably accepted to be in use anywhere.

I believe the answer depends on your target audience, as well as the
maturity/age/penetration of your existing project/program.

Also relevant is if your program runs "standalone" or runs "embedded".
Since Java versions can co-exist in the same machine trivially its not
unreasonable that a "standalone" program have different dependency
assumptions then an embedded program.   With an embedded program you
cant say "Just update to X.Y" as easily.

David A. Lee
dlee@calldei.com
http://www.calldei.com
http://www.xmlsh.org