Re: p:for-each

From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:06:19 -0500
To: XProc Dev <xproc-dev@w3.org>
"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:

>> A sequence of documents is...a sequence of zero or more documents.
>
> For which the spec has no definition of 'document'. My usage, of
> a file within a directory, is a reasonable interpretation lacking
> existing clarity within the spec as I see it.

Really? You think the notion of XML document is insufficiently
rigerous in the spec? Given what we say in paragraph 3 of 2.2 Inputs
and Outputs, would we really improve things if we added something
along these lines:

  XProc processes Infoset Document Information Items as XML documents

The spec makes it perfectly clear, I think, that how you get from the
outside world (files in a directory) into the initial pipeline step is
implementation defined.

In the case of Calabash, you can use -isource multiple times to make a
sequence. Perhaps I should also allow -isource=*.xml, I think that
makes sense.

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | A hen is only an egg's way of making
http://nwalsh.com/            | another egg.--Samuel Butler (II)