Re: p:for-each

From: Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:15:36 +0000
To: "XProc Dev" <xproc-dev@w3.org>

2008/12/21 Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>:
> "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:
>> I'm looking for an example of p:for-each
>> Scenario.
>> The current directory has many *.xpl files
>> I want to return the p:declare-step/@name value
>> Starting with
>>   name? = NCName>
>>     ((p:iteration-source? &
>>       (p:output |
>>        p:log)*),
>>      subpipeline)
>> "When a pipeline needs to process a sequence of documents "
>>    (Does this mean a sequence of documents in a directory???? perhaps
>> not, but since it's undefined in
>> the rec.... that's how I want to interpret it)
> A sequence of documents is...a sequence of zero or more documents.

For which the spec has no definition of 'document'. My usage, of
a file within a directory, is a reasonable interpretation lacking
existing clarity within the spec as I see it.

> For
> example, if you use select to grab all the chapters of a book, that
> creates a sequence of chapter documents.

Which took me off on a wrong track <sigh/>
(the error was using * in an href attribute!

>> I want to select a p:iteration source (the source over which I want to iterate)
>> I try p:document and hit XD0011 when I try *.xpl in the @href attribute.
>> Anyone got a practical example of using p:for-each please?
>> I couldn't find anything in the test suite either.
>> Am I looking for a single file with many 'documents' within it?
> What you probably want is something like this:

Thanks Norm. I'll use that.

Dave Pawson
Docbook FAQ.