RE: What is lost if xsd:choice is jettisoned?

From: David Ezell <David_E3@VERIFONE.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 15:29:40 -0500
To: "Costello, Roger L." <costello@mitre.org>, "xmlschema-dev@w3.org" <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>
Roger wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded. Excellent! I will write a summary of
> the responses and post it.

For my own purposes, I think of substitution groups as instituting a form of polymorphism, whereas xs:choice is a "dumb" switch statement.

The former is quite useful if you expect to introduce new things into a vocabulary you want to treat in existing software without modification.  The latter is for when you just want a switch.

But that's just  me.

HTH.

Best regards,
David Ezell