RE: Online validator: '[', ']', and '-' freely accepted in patterns

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:25:25 -0000
To: "'Dave Evans'" <dme@sirius-software.com>
Cc: <HT@INF.ED.AC.UK>, <XMLSCHEMA-DEV@W3.ORG>

> Meanwhile, since I am a complete outsider, I
> wonder (fearful if I should embark on it) if it would be in
> any way worthwhile for me to try to contribute anything to
> the test suite.  Probably the tests that I have accumulated
> are a meagre subset of the suite, but I do have a handfull of
> pattern tests.

I think the coverage of the test suite is actually quite good; adding more
tests on the off-chance that they exercise something that isn't currently
exercised is unlikely to be productive. What's needed now is to do an
iteration that improves the quality of the tests - which can only be done by
exercising them against existing processors and inspecting the results,
something I've spent a lot of time doing over the last month.

One thing that might be a useful addition, however, is a section containing
"real-life" schemas and instance documents: system tests as distinct from
unit tests.

Another thing that's completely missing at the moment is any testing of PSVI
construction: the existing tests only test schema validity and instance
validity as binary properties.

Michael Kay