RE: [xml-dev] Two Questions - on XML Schema

From: Michael Kay <mike@saxonica.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 15:45:01 -0000
To: "'Bryan Rasmussen'" <BRS@itst.dk>, "'Rick Jelliffe'" <rjelliffe@allette.com.au>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I agree somewhat. Some months back there was a thread where I
> argued that
> instead of extending XML Schema with co-occurence constraints
> there should be
> some work done on how to connect XML Schema better with Schematron.

Using two different languages with very different conceptual approaches to
detecting and reporting validation errors is OK as a pragmatic way of coping
with today's realities, but it's hard to believe that we can't come up with
something better.

> One thing that I can think of straight off the bat if XML
> Schema went towards
> defining bindings to Schematron of some sort then xsd:unique could be
> dropped. Dropping syntax is also a benefit.

It's not exactly a benefit to the many people who are already using that
syntax.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/