Re: Ignore Order while validating XSD

From: George Cristian Bina <george@oxygenxml.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 11:11:34 +0200
To: Ramkumar Menon <ramkumar.menon@gmail.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi Ram,

You can relax the content model to a choice with maxOccurs-"unbounded"
of your possible elements and then embed a couple of Schematron rules to
check that the number of occurrences for each element. For instance if
you want an element test to contain a,b,c and one or more x elements in
any order then the schema looks like below:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
   <xs:element name="test">
         <sch:pattern name="Check the number of occurences.">
           <sch:rule context="test">
             <sch:assert test="count(a)=1">Element a should appear
             <sch:assert test="count(b)=1">Element b should appear
             <sch:assert test="count(c)=1">Element c should appear
             <sch:assert test="count(x)>=1">Element a should appear al
least once.</sch:assert>
       <xs:choice maxOccurs="unbounded">
         <xs:element name="a"/>
         <xs:element name="b"/>
         <xs:element name="c"/>
         <xs:element name="x"/>

This scales well with the number of elements.

Best Regards,
George Cristian Bina