Re: Facets

From: Bryce K. Nielsen <bryce@sysonyx.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:35:26 -0700
To: <Farid.Mahini@L-3com.com>, <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

> I have an XML document which contains the list of acceptable values
(strings
> or enum) for some elements, in addition to the elements themselves.  I
need
> to create a schema to validate this XML document. Is there a way to make
the
> validation process aware of these facets (on the fly, if you will).  I
hope
> the simple XML test file below clarifies my question.

What you will want to do is have a simpleType that is restricted as an
Enumeration. Something like this:

  <xsd:element name="Types">
    <xsd:complexType>
      <xsd:sequence>
        <xsd:element name="Name">
          <xsd:simpleType>
            <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
              <xsd:enumeration value="Analog"/>
              <xsd:enumeration value="Digital"/>
              <xsd:enumeration value="Bus"/>
              <xsd:enumeration value="Undefined"/>
            </xsd:restriction>
          </xsd:simpleType>
        </xsd:element>
      </xsd:sequence>
    </xsd:complexType>
  </xsd:element>

HTH,

Bryce K. Nielsen
SysOnyx, Inc. (www.sysonyx.com)
Makers of xmlDraft, the Smart XSD Editor
http://www.sysonyx.com/products/xmldraft