Facets

From: <Farid.Mahini@L-3com.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:57:37 -0500
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org

Hi,

Please pardon me if my question is not very clear. I am very new to the
XML/Schema language.

I have an XML document which contains the list of acceptable values (strings
or enum) for some elements, in addition to the elements themselves.  I need
to create a schema to validate this XML document. Is there a way to make the
validation process aware of these facets (on the fly, if you will).  I hope
the simple XML test file below clarifies my question.

Thank you,
-Farid

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Measurements xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="Untitled6.xsd">
    <Types>	// The values lised under Types are user defined and
different in XML input files.
        <Name>Analog</Name>
        <Name>Digital</Name>
        <Name>Bus</Name>
        <Name>Undefined</Name>
    </Types>
    <MeasInfo>		                                       // MeasInfo
is common to all XML input files
        <Name>Air Flow</Name>
        <Type>Analog</Type>                              // Type element
value must be one of those listed under Types element.
    </MeasInfo>
    <MeasInfo>
        <Name>Heading</Name>
        <Type>Digital</Type>
    </MeasInfo>
</Measurements>

"After all You have done for me, I can do no less for You than my best."
(Author unknown)

>From E-mail Administrator
ATTENTION PLEASE: Do you have our new e-mail addresses?
The current L-3 standard is First.Last @ L-3com.com
E-mail addressed to First.Last @ te.L-3com.com will no longer be delivered.
Please update your address book using the "From" address on this email.