Inheritance of "mixed"

From: Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 01:03:16 +0100
To: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

Where a complex type A does not specify "mixed" (either on the complexType
element or the complexContent element), and is derived by extension from a
complex type B that specifies mixed="yes", Xerces and XSV both appear to
treat A as allowing mixed content.

They are presumably doing the right thing, and it seems a sensible thing to
do, but I can't find anything in the spec that justifies it. As I read the
rules, the "effective mixed" of A is false, and there is then a violation of
the constraint Derivation Valid (Extension): 1.4.3.2.2.1 Both {content
type}s must be mixed or both must be element-only.

What have I missed?

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/