Re: Question about uniqueness

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:13:31 +0100
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org, Eddie Robertsson <erobertsson@allette.com.au>
CC: Eric Jain <Eric.Jain@isb-sib.ch>

Hi Eddie,

>>But default namespaces shouldn't apply to XPath expressions, or
>>should they?
> No. Not unless W3C XML Schema changes this behaviour somehow but I'm
> fairly certain that's not the case. Does anyone else have any
> comments on this?

I think that you're correct. I don't see anything in the XML Schema
Rec that overrides the behaviour for XPaths:

  "A QName in the node test is expanded into an expanded-name using
   the namespace declarations from the expression context. This is the
   same way expansion is done for element type names in start and
   end-tags except that the default namespace declared with xmlns is
   not used: if the QName does not have a prefix, then the namespace
   URI is null (this is the same way attribute names are expanded)."

The default namespace in the schema should not affect the way the
XPaths are interpreted. Processors that use the default namespace when
interpreting the XPath are buggy.

Jeni Tennison