Original Choice (was RE: Choice)

Folks:

I know this discussion drifted in different direction, however, coming back
to original issue.

I tested this solution with Xerces-Java 2.0.1. And it seems to work.

The files -

choice.xsd
----------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
	<xs:element name="test">
		<xs:complexType>
			<xs:choice>
				<xs:element name="t1" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
				<xs:element name="t2" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
			</xs:choice>
		</xs:complexType>
	</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

choice.xml
---------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<test xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="C:\apps\xerces-2_0_1\data\choice.xsd">
<t1>one</t1>
<t1>two</t1>
</test>

Now the question I have for schema gurus - Is this correct usage for
"choice" content model ?  XML Spy, TurboXML (Tibco) and Xerces-Java 2 seem
to be okay with this. However, the XSD spec is ambiguous.

Also, using <choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"> will solve the
"none of the elements have to be used but ANY ONE of them can be used as
many times as needed" problem.

Above will work if you define schema as -

<choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
  <element ref="A" />
</choice>

<choice minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded">
  <element ref="B" />
</choice>

-- Naren Chawla