From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2001 1:01 AM
To: 'xmlschema-dev@w3.org'
Subject: Is it legitim to compare 2 dateTime without timezones?

Hi,

I feel uneasy about the comparison of two xs:dateTime (or xs:date)
values when none of them have a timezone.

Doing so, we acknowledge that the timezone -which is undetermined when
not specified- is identical all over an instance document and (still
more controversial IMO) between the schemas and the instance documents.

It's kind of implying the notion of a "user's timezone" which I haven't
found explicitely described in the recommendation and which we can
specify neither in a schema nor in an instance document.

Wouldn't be safer to recognize that, like it is the case when a datetime
with timezone is compared to a datetime without timezone, there is only
a partial order when two datetimes without timezones are compared?

Eric
--
Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.
                    http://www.technoforum.fr/Pages/forumXML01/index.html