RE: Is it legitimate to compare 2 dateTime without timezones?

From: <Noah_Mendelsohn@lotus.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 10:35:48 -0500
To: "Ashok Malhotra" <ashokma@microsoft.com>
Cc: vdv@dyomedea.com, xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Also, keep in mind that even when you use a timezone, it is a construction
in the lexical form that is not distinguishable separately in the value.
The difference between

        1PM GMT-5
and     6PM GMT  (I know these aren't the right lexical forms)

is much like the difference between:

        1E+2
and     100.0

in float.  The two sets of forms represent the same values, respectively,
and will compare equal. I was against this design choice for date/time, as
I felt that users would expect timezones to be significant if supplied.  I
lost, and it's certainly too late to change now.  Even when timezones are
supplied, they cannot be seen directly in the value space.

One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142