Re: W3C XML Schema processing architecture

Another area where it seems one can enjoy the full freedom of applying your own non-portable approach is the situation where the
grammars to be used for validation consist of DTD(s) for some parts, of schema(s) for other parts and maybe both for yet other
parts.

I must have missed something, as the only practical way at this time seems to consist of “roll-your-own” validator and errorhandler
implementations  (extending, for instance, Xerces-J).

Is anyone ware of initiatives more specific/detailed than or evolving beyond the DOM Level 3 "Abstract Schemas" June 7th draft?

Eric van der Vlist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The W3C XML Schema recommendation seems to consider that it's out of its
> scope to define the processing architecture around a schema such as the
> usage of a schema by a validating parser and I was wondering where this
> was defined|discussed.
>
> For instance, one could imagine that a validating parser could pass to
> the applications the canonical form of the values read in a document.
>
> This would make a huge difference for the applications (probably much
> more appreciated by "data oriented applications" than by "document
> oriented applications").
>
> I have (briefly I must admit) gone though DOM Level 3 "Load and Save"
> [1] and I haven't seen what I was looking for.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-DOM-Level-3-ASLS-20010607/load-save.html
>
> I wonder, though, if it's not something which should be discussed beyond
> the scope of a specific parsing API.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts (and pointers).
>
> Eric
> --
> Rendez-vous à Paris pour le Forum XML.
>                     http://www.technoforum.fr/Pages/forumXML01/index.html
> Eric van der Vlist       http://xmlfr.org            http://dyomedea.com
> http://xsltunit.org      http://4xt.org           http://examplotron.org

Jacques Deseyne
IT/Interfaces
S.W.I.F.T. SCRL
jacques.deseyne@swift.com

This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information that is
confidential and/or proprietary and is intended for the sole use of
the recipient(s) named above. It is not intended to create or affect
any contractual arrangements between the parties. If you have received
this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender and delete it immediately.
Thank you for your cooperation.