Re: W3C XML Schema processing architecture

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: 22 Oct 2001 10:28:23 +0100
To: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
Cc: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com> writes:

> The W3C XML Schema recommendation seems to consider that it's out of
> its scope to define the processing architecture around a schema such
> as the usage of a schema by a validating parser and I was wondering
> where this was defined|discussed.

I guess I think the REC is pretty clear at the architectural level,
about what conforming schema-aware processors must do.  It goes as far
as it can without making platform or implentation assumptions.

> For instance, one could imagine that a validating parser could pass to the
> applications the canonical form of the values read in a document.

But that would require representation decisions to be made, decisions
which might rule out certain platforms.

> This would make a huge difference for the applications (probably much more
> appreciated by "data oriented applications" than by "document oriented
> applications").

I agree data-binding is important.

If you have any ideas about how to say more than we do now without
compromising interoperability, please share them!