Union of attribute uses

From: Rahul Srivastava <Rahul.Srivastava@Sun.COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 12:41:43 +0000 (Asia/Calcutta)
To: xmlschema-dev@w3.org
Hi,

I have a small doubt about union of attribute uses.

1.
The declarations
        <attribute ref="GlobalAttr" use="required"/>
        <attribute ref="GlobalAttr" use="optional"/>
are same, as both the attribute uses, refer attribute declaration having same
name and are from same tNS. The use attribute differentiates them. But, it is an
error if they appear together (3.6.6 clause 2).

2.
The declarations
        <attribute name="Attr1" type="ID"/>
        <attribute name="Attr2" type="ID"/>
are different as they have different names. But, its an error, if they appear
together (3.6.6 clause 3).

When we perform a union of attribute uses, how are these two cases handled?.
If we throw an exception for these cases, what is union then?.
Also, 3.2 of 3.4.2 is not clear to me.

Can somebody help me. =:-)

Cheers,
Rahul.