Re: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

At 02:03 PM 9/7/00 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>At 06:44 PM 9/7/00 +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
> >What does a noun represent?
> >
> >This is not a facile question.  I think answers to that question may be
> >illuminating.
>
>A person, place, or thing.  Didn't you ever watch Schoolhouse Rock?

What about colours, smells?  They, too, are [abstract] nouns.

[...]

> >I suggest that a URI serves the same purpose in web architecture that a
> >noun serves in the architecture of most human languages.
>
>Well, I'd categorize the usage in Namespaces in XML as more like an adjective.

I wouldn't.  I'd say the namespace usage is along the lines of "is defined
by X" or "is associated with X" (if only for consistency with more common
URI usage).

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)