Re: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

From: Paul W. Abrahams <abrahams@valinet.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 18:09:39 -0400
To: xml-uri@w3.org
Dan Brickley wrote:

> The text you cite, [2], leaves open the question of whether the
> 'something' that is referenced may differ over time. At any tick of the
> clock, the identifier 'can' act as a reference to some thing; as time
> passes and the world changes, it might subsequently fail to refer, or pick
> out a different thing-with-identity.

I don't see why time-variance is a problem for URIs at all.   Both the Dan
Brickley of ten years ago and the Dan Brickley of today are referred to by
the name "Dan Brickley".   But as I noted in a very recent post, Dan Brickley
is a person while "Dan Brickley" is a string of characters.

Paul Abrahams (not "Paul Abrahams")