RE: I-D ACTION:draft-daigle-uri-std-00.txt

From: Miles Sabin <msabin@cromwellmedia.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 18:57:12 +0100
To: XML-uri@w3.org
Graham Klyne wrote,
> I suggest that a URI serves the same purpose in web
> architecture that a noun serves in the architecture of most
> human languages.

I don't think that quite right, but if it was, it'd imply,
quite rightly IMO, that URIs are often inherently vague and
ambiguous ... the classic (English) example 'bank'.

Actually, I think that in the most general case URNs are more
like demonstratives ('that' etc.) and URLs are more like
descriptions ('whatever it is that's over there right now').
Both demonstratives and descriptions can be vague and
ambiguous too.

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews