Re: XML Encryption Support for Camellia

On Monday 28 October 2002 09:29 am, Shiho MORIAI wrote:
> Camellia has been scrutinized throughout the evaluation process of the
> projects above, and it performs very well in both software and
> hardware. For further information, please ask me or see the Camellia
> home page (http://info.isl.ntt.co.jp/camellia/).  I believe Camellia
> would be the best choice for a backup algorithm for the AES in case of
> need.  Moreover, Camellia is worldwide royalty-free available.

While these are laudable characteristics it is too late to consider the
addition of other algorithms. Furthermore, even during the consideration we
were looking for a minimal suite of ciphers by which we could ensure
interoperability "out of the box". However, we also expect and encourage
other algorithms to be used with XML Encryption. If you would like to see
Camellia used with XML Encryption, the first step is to define an
identifier and "profile", a test tar ball, and try to get some other
implementations to interoperate. You could then try to publish this
document a W3C Note or IETF document.