XML Encryption Support for Camellia

From: Shiho MORIAI <shiho@sucaba.isl.ntt.co.jp>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 14:29:53 JST
To: Donald Eastlake <dee3@torque.pothole.com>, Joseph Reagle <reagle@w3.org>
Cc: xml-encryption@w3.org

Sorry for my last-minute comments.
The current document of the XML Encryption Syntax and Processing
specifies only Triple DES and AES as block encryption algorithms.
I wonder if I might ask XML Encryption WG to consider inclusion of the
Camellia encryption algorithm as an OPTIONAL block encryption
Camellia is under active consideration in the following
standardization bodies and evaluation projects on cryptographic
-- ISO/IEC 18033 "Information technology - Security techniques -
   Encryption algorithms"
-- NESSIE project: (EC project)
-- CRYPTREC project (Japan e-Government project)

Camellia has been scrutinized throughout the evaluation process of the
projects above, and it performs very well in both software and
hardware. For further information, please ask me or see the Camellia
home page (http://info.isl.ntt.co.jp/camellia/).  I believe Camellia
would be the best choice for a backup algorithm for the AES in case of
need.  Moreover, Camellia is worldwide royalty-free available.

XML encryption is considered very important as the base security tool
of many services. I think it desirable to allow for a wider range of
optional ciphers to accommodate extension and connection to other
security standards and existing business models.

Best regards,
Shiho Moriai
NTT Laboratories